19 Haziran 2012 Salı

Samosa Casserole

To contact us Click HERE
I love vegetable samosas.  Whenever we go out for dinner at our local Indian restaurant we order them as part of our appetizer.  Whenever I grocery shop, I make sure I pick up a box from the freezer section.  We always have (frozen) samosas on-hand.  This is what I crave when I need something savory (not too often, my sweet tooth usually prevails).

This recipe is awesome, thanks to Vegetarian Times.  It is quick and simple to prepare and easy to serve.  So good, we almost ate the entire casserole in one sitting!  Thank goodness we didn't, because I was able to have it for lunch the next day (This was one of those meals that I called "dibs" on and didn't let my husband take to work for his lunch).

Samosa Casserole
Pie crust - You will need both a top and bottom.  I use 2 pie crusts and simply invert one as my top (Package directions in the second photo).  I buy this pie crust frozen from my grocery store.  The ingredients are vegan-friendly and for me, this is how I am able to make things a bit simpler in my meal prep.

1/2 TB ground mustard1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cumin
1-1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 5 potatoes)
1-1/2 tsp vegetable oil (I used Sunflower Oil.)
1 onion, diced (1 cup)
1 carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c frozen peas
1 c vegetable broth
2 tsp raw cane sugar
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
2 TB non-dairy unsweetened milk (I used Unsweetened Coconut Milk.)
1/8 tsp paprika (optional)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Prepare pie crust following directions on package (if using store-bought).  All I had to do was thaw mine.
In a small bowl combine ground mustard, curry, ginger, and cumin.  Set aside.

Cook potatoes in boiling water for about 15 minutes, until tender.  Drain and place in mixing bowl.  Mash potatoes, leaving small chunks.

In large skillet saute onion, carrot and garlic in oil until softened.
Move sauteed onion, carrot and garlic to side of pan. Add spice mixture to center of same skillet and toast about 30 seconds.
Add peas and broth to the onion and spice mixture and stir to combine. 

Fold this mixture into mashed potatoes.  Stir in sugar and season with salt and pepper.
Fill prepared pie crust with samosa mixture.  Cover with top pie crust, folding edges together to seal and marking an X in the middle.  Brush with non-dairy milk and sprinkle with paprika.

Oops!  Be a bit more careful than me!
 For obvious reasons, I didn't mark my casserole with an X.
 Bake about 40-50 minutes, until golden.


 Add-Ins:  I think this would have been great with a Mint Chutney.  I just didn't think of it until the casserole was baking in the oven.

One Year Ago: Make It Homemade: Hot Chocolate (Last year on this date I wrote we were buried under a pile of snow!  The past two weeks we have been experiencing temperatures in the high 60's into the 70's with lots of sun.  Reality check on what should really be happening here in upstate NY.)

Related Recipes:
  • Mulligatawny Soup
  • Curried Lentil Soup 
WhatMyKidsAte: My son ate this and my daughter ate the pie crust...once I finally talked her into that.  I ended up making a batch of Mochi (photo below).  I dab Earth Balance on top of the baked cubes and then sprinkle with cinnamon.  My children also had Stonyfield Yogurt and apple slices.




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder