6 Haziran 2012 Çarşamba

Happy Easter and a Pasta Salad Recipe

To contact us Click HERE


Some things don't go as planned...
-I didn't bake Easter Story Cookies with my children Saturday night. 
-I didn't want to wake up at 5AM Sunday morning.
-I didn't want to have a cold.
-I didn't get a "perfect" picture of my children in their Easter clothes.

But...what I did get was:
-A relaxing Saturday night watching The Easter Bunny is Comin' to Town, cuddled on the couch with my beautiful family.
-A gleeful wake-up call at 5AM by my 3-year old shouting "The Easter Bunny was here!!!!"
-Umcka
-A sunny and gorgeous Easter Sunday spent with my family and friends - and that perfect "picture" will forever be in my memory.
photo taken by my daughter 
We spent the afternoon with other families where six children excitedly hunted for Easter eggs and played nicely together while the grown-ups enjoyed, well, grown-up time together.  We were invited to have an Easter dinner at a friend's home and for that I am grateful.  Initially, our family was going to be alone... and I was okay with that.  But, that happily didn't go as planned and we ended up having a wonderful Easter Sunday.

I brought a very basic pasta salad for the dinner.  Threw it together in 30 minutes.


Basic Pasta Salad

1 lb spiral pasta (or your favorite)
2 c broccoli, chopped (include finely chopped stems as well)
1 carrot, grated
2 c finely sliced baby spinach
1/2 olives (your favorite)
1 c Italian dressing (your favorite)
1 c toasted and lightly salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas) OR sunflower seeds

Cook pasta according to package directions.  In the last 2 minutes of boil time, toss chopped broccoli into the cooking pot.

Place grated carrot into bottom of colander to be using to draining pasta.  When pasta and broccoli are finished, pour hot water and pasta in colander on top of carrot.  Shake to drain and rinse completely with cold water.  Transfer back to cooking pot (Not on stove top - you just want a large pot to mix salad.).

Add Italian dressing to and toss.  Add spinach and olives and toss once more.  Transfer to serving bowl.

To toast pumpkin seeds I simply use a skillet and add a tiny splash of oil.  Turn heat on medium and add pumpkin seeds.  They will start to brown and "pop" after about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour onto paper towel-covered plate.  Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.  Let drain a bit on towel.  Once cooled, transfer to small bowl.

When serving, have pumpkin seeds on the side for garnish.  I also like to keep my pasta salad at room temperature for as along as possible.  You might need to add more dressing if it seems a bit dry.

I also brought my yummy Matzoh Toffee!

One Year Ago: Spinach Salad and Beefless Tips (a Kickstart recipe)
Related Recipes:
  • Decorating Eggs
  • Artichoke Heart and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Salad

How did you spend your weekend?


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder