17 Mayıs 2012 Perşembe

Pirate Pasta

To contact us Click HERE

This recipe comes from Parents Magazine.  It caught my eye because of:
  • the name.  PIRATES are a big deal in this house.  I have a 3 year old boy and Jake and the Neverland Pirates is on regular rotation on the television.
  • lemons are an ingredient.  My son loves lemons - he eats them in wedges.
  • pasta.  My daughter is finally eating pasta so I knew I could have a small plain portion just for her.
  • only a handful of basic ingredients.
I adapted it just a bit.  The original recipe contained shrimp.  I used garbanzo beans instead - easy switch!



Pirate Pasta

1 lb box pasta (I used wagon wheel pasta because it is my kids' favorite.)
1 can (15 oz) garbanzo or white beans, drained and rinsed (I ended up using green garbanzos, which I find in the freezer section at my grocery store.)
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
5 c (5 oz) baby spinach
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
3 TB lemon juice
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste


In a large pot, boil pasta according to package directions.  Drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, warm oil over medium heat.  Add spinach for 1-2 minutes, until wilted.  Add garlic and beans and saute for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon peel and juice.

Combine spinach mixture with pasta.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Drizzle each serving with a bit of olive oil and extra squeeze of lemon juice, if desired.

You can serve this meal immediately, nice and hot.  It is also delicious as a chilled pasta dish. 

One Year Ago:  Buffalo Chick'n Burritos (favorite!!!)

Related Recipes:
  • Artichoke Heart and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta Salad
  • Hoppin' John Salad
  • Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes, Spinach and Baby Bellas

WhatMyKidsAte:  My son enjoyed this dish, but picked out the spinach and beans.  He definitely liked the flavor with the lemon.  For my daughter, I simply removed a small portion of cooked pasta and tossed it with coconut oil.  I added a touch of salt and a sprinkling of Nutritional Yeast Flakes.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder