13 Mayıs 2012 Pazar

Independence Days Challenge - May 4th update

To contact us Click HERE
Plant Something:  I had plans to finish our cold weather crop planting, but then the rains came and I never got to it.  It looks like Saturday  might be dry here, though. I did notice when I was checking on the garden that we have spinach, carrots, and cabbage sprouting in the raised beds and we have tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, and cauliflower sprouting in the plastic tote box greenhouses. So far it looks like the plastic tote greenhouse method might just be a success. The Hubster and I were a little worried because of all the rain the holes in the top were letting in quite a bit of water. We thought the poor seeds might get too wet, but probably because we've been having cooler temps they held up okay. We might need to consider more drain holes for next year, though.


Harvest Something: Again, no harvests.  We do have rosemary, marjoram, oregano, sage, and rhubarb ready, though.


Preserve Something:  Nothing happened here this week, either.


Waste Not:  Continuing to do well on composting.  The Hubster also commented on trash day that we're sending less off to the landfills.  Our Paleo/Primal diet transition results in less waste as well!


Want Not:  I added three jars of coconut oil to the food storage shelves this week.


Eat the Food:  We tried beef liver for the first time this week in an attempt to increase our nutrition and get it out of the freezer.  The verdict is we don't like it.  I think I'll try a tip from another blogger and grind a bit and include it when I make meatloaf.


Build community food systems:  We dug up some raspberry canes and rhubarb plants and brought them over to a friend's house.  I have another friend wanting a rhubarb plant and yet another requested some raspberry canes and a rhubarb plant.


Skill up:  I did manage to successfully complete a batch of Queso Blanco cheese.  I didn't try any because I'm not eating dairy right now, but the verdict from friends is that it was tasty.  The Hubster would like me to add more salt next time.  I have the supplies on hand to try my hand at Cheddar cheese making now.  The Hubster and I need to build a cheese press and we also need an open day to make the cheese.  It's about a 6 hour process based upon my reading of the recipe.


This post is part of Sharon Astyk's Independence Days Challenge.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder