23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

I'm still not canning

The garden is in full production right now. We're harvesting cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, and broccoli. The turnips are ready, but I've just left them in the ground - likewise the carrots. Our horseradish is also probably ready to harvest, but I'm going to delay that one as well.

I've frozen a fair amount of shredded zucchini and given away a few. The cucumbers we've decided to just eat as we harvest and give away the excess. I still have pickles left in the pantry from two years ago. No point in canning up more right now. I've also frozen a fair amount of sliced peppers. They're very handy to have in the freezer in the winter months!



Here you see some of the dried tomatoes and eggplant I've put up. As you can see from the picture I have four pints and one quart of tomatoes. I'm not sure what the volume is of the container with the eggplant slices is because it's a repurposed candy jar.

To dry them I just sliced them thin - about 1/4" thick - and left them in the dehydrator at 135F for 24 hours. So much easier than canning! I've tried both the eggplant and tomato and declared them snackable. The eggplant is a bit bland, but I didn't season either crop because my true intention is to use them in cooking. I'm envisioning a veggie lasagna with the eggplant slices taking the place of lasagna noodles.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder